YES. I’m tired of all of you pretentious assholes saying that I’m not “really reading” because I use a kindle.
Yes, you are reading.You are just reading a “lesser” form of book. Reading isn’t just reading the words on a page/screen, it’s smelling the book, new or old, it’s wearing the books spine out after rereading it for the X’th time, it’s leaving crease marks on a page you flipped too fast because you were that eager to get to the next page, and most of all, it’s losing yourself in a book to the point where the world around you no longer exists. And I, for one, cannot lose myself in an electronic screen. The words of a real book take on a depth that cannot ever be recreated on anything electronic. So you may be reading a book, but you will never truly experience a book unless you read it in a printed medium.
lol this pretentious bullshit. “The words of a real book take on a depth that cannot ever be recreated on anything electronic.” i mean really. anyway, the words of your reblog have no depth or meaning to me since i’m reading them in electronic form, but u tried it
Now I love books, I have literally thousands of books but I also love fanfic and I can’t get them in ‘proper’ book form so I have a Kindle full of downloaded PDF fanfics (most of which are Atlin Merrick’s and porn). Does it really matter how you read as long as you read?
Ooh, this my division!!!
As a bookstore manager that peddles both paper books and e-readers, I agree with the above statement that it doesn’t matter which medium you choose to read in, it’s that you’re reading!
I use the same argument for fanfiction. My mum and husband always ask me why I don’t just write a ‘real’ book instead of wasting time on writing fanficiton. Fanfiction IS real fiction. It’s ALL fiction.
So. Fucking. There.
Anyway, I use my Nook (which I prefer to Kindle, but to each their own) constantly. I put more fanficiton on it than anything, because it’s easy to download from A03 (press the ePUB button and voila, it’s on there in 3 seconds). I use it for the internet more than for ‘real’ books. :P
I still buy paper books because I like how they feel and smell, and they look nice on the ol’ bookshelf.
I still prefer my text bashed into rocks. Steele of Hammurabi? Fuck ye.
I still buy books, but honestly, since I got an e-reader about a year ago I’ve read almost exclusively on it. I find it more convenient, I can read in bed (lit screen) without bothering my partner and it’s easier to take your book with you when you leave the house. However even when I’m at home I still find myself choosing the e-reader. Choosing, because at the end of the day it’s a personal preference.
My grandfather uses an e-reader because he can increase the text size. This is a big deal for him because he can’t read regular text sized books anymore. My friend’s father who had MS and was quadriplegic used an e-reader because it was the only way he could read. But hey, guess they weren’t really reading.
"And I, for one, cannot lose myself in an electronic screen. The words of a real book take on a depth that cannot ever be recreated on anything electronic."
Just because you can’t doesn’t mean it’s that way for others. I am quite capable of enjoying the written word without all the romanticizing of physical books. It’s fine to have a preference, it’s fine to enjoy wearing the spine and folding pages, but it is no more valid then other formats.
- milkyleafwater reblogged this from yildiz-blackthorne
- yildiz-blackthorne reblogged this from cerul-skyefrost
- not-your-normal-fangirl reblogged this from barefootcosplayer
- audiopostsaveformeonly reblogged this from barefootcosplayer
- not-your-normal-fangirl likes this
- thecongabreadgirl likes this
- fandomsentertainment likes this
- thatpersonthatdoesstuff reblogged this from sullensniper
- sullensniper reblogged this from saintyoungmenforjustice and added:
- yatsuka reblogged this from barefootcosplayer
- yatsuka likes this
- crimsonsnight reblogged this from sparky-and-sparkle
- crimsonsnight likes this
- the-masked-sark likes this
- sparky-and-sparkle reblogged this from crinkledap
- barefootcosplayer reblogged this from crinkledap
- crinkledap reblogged this from thatdemionfire
- ponyfull likes this
- an-abundance-of-sassiness reblogged this from galaxy-toast
- an-abundance-of-sassiness likes this
- galaxy-toast reblogged this from thatdemionfire
- galaxy-toast likes this
- thebookwasbetterthanthemovie likes this
- thatdemionfire reblogged this from squidwordtontocles
- dancingonthebar reblogged this from supernorwegian
- gunderwood666 reblogged this from lilqb
- seiriin likes this
- tomasterous reblogged this from samayooo
- conwaypubliclibrary reblogged this from circulatingideas
- netflix-fucked-me-up reblogged this from super-who--potter-lock and added:
- buffyannesummersforever reblogged this from piertotum-locomottor
- julielangs likes this
- awnya98 likes this
- katey76762 reblogged this from katey76762
- micalovesixteens reblogged this from the-blue-bug
- the-blue-bug reblogged this from ask-a-cannibal
- mielisairaala likes this
- mylife-mylove reblogged this from mylife-yourlove
- freshprinceofbutthair reblogged this from msatombicbomb
- freshprinceofbutthair likes this
- msatombicbomb reblogged this from dick-oven
- pommei likes this
- the-randomer03 reblogged this from wander-panzer
- gabuchibi reblogged this from maytayt
- gabuchibi likes this
- maytayt reblogged this from theytoldmetochangetheurl
- the-thin-rad-line likes this
- tatertitz reblogged this from 19irish
- tatertitz likes this