YES. I’m tired of all of you pretentious assholes saying that I’m not “really reading” because I use a kindle.
Yes, you are reading.You are just reading a “lesser” form of book. Reading isn’t just reading the words on a page/screen, it’s smelling the book, new or old, it’s wearing the books spine out after rereading it for the X’th time, it’s leaving crease marks on a page you flipped too fast because you were that eager to get to the next page, and most of all, it’s losing yourself in a book to the point where the world around you no longer exists. And I, for one, cannot lose myself in an electronic screen. The words of a real book take on a depth that cannot ever be recreated on anything electronic. So you may be reading a book, but you will never truly experience a book unless you read it in a printed medium.
lol this pretentious bullshit. “The words of a real book take on a depth that cannot ever be recreated on anything electronic.” i mean really. anyway, the words of your reblog have no depth or meaning to me since i’m reading them in electronic form, but u tried it
Now I love books, I have literally thousands of books but I also love fanfic and I can’t get them in ‘proper’ book form so I have a Kindle full of downloaded PDF fanfics (most of which are Atlin Merrick’s and porn). Does it really matter how you read as long as you read?
Ooh, this my division!!!
As a bookstore manager that peddles both paper books and e-readers, I agree with the above statement that it doesn’t matter which medium you choose to read in, it’s that you’re reading!
I use the same argument for fanfiction. My mum and husband always ask me why I don’t just write a ‘real’ book instead of wasting time on writing fanficiton. Fanfiction IS real fiction. It’s ALL fiction.
So. Fucking. There.
Anyway, I use my Nook (which I prefer to Kindle, but to each their own) constantly. I put more fanficiton on it than anything, because it’s easy to download from A03 (press the ePUB button and voila, it’s on there in 3 seconds). I use it for the internet more than for ‘real’ books. :P
I still buy paper books because I like how they feel and smell, and they look nice on the ol’ bookshelf.
I still prefer my text bashed into rocks. Steele of Hammurabi? Fuck ye.
I still buy books, but honestly, since I got an e-reader about a year ago I’ve read almost exclusively on it. I find it more convenient, I can read in bed (lit screen) without bothering my partner and it’s easier to take your book with you when you leave the house. However even when I’m at home I still find myself choosing the e-reader. Choosing, because at the end of the day it’s a personal preference.
My grandfather uses an e-reader because he can increase the text size. This is a big deal for him because he can’t read regular text sized books anymore. My friend’s father who had MS and was quadriplegic used an e-reader because it was the only way he could read. But hey, guess they weren’t really reading.
"And I, for one, cannot lose myself in an electronic screen. The words of a real book take on a depth that cannot ever be recreated on anything electronic."
Just because you can’t doesn’t mean it’s that way for others. I am quite capable of enjoying the written word without all the romanticizing of physical books. It’s fine to have a preference, it’s fine to enjoy wearing the spine and folding pages, but it is no more valid then other formats.
- queerical reblogged this from pinkhairedlesbianadventures
- rallyluna likes this
- gmt-gabir reblogged this from chilensisboy
- chilensisboy reblogged this from sup-saranaa
- collidinglegends reblogged this from ixnay-on-the-oddk
- wolflover100 reblogged this from the-timelord-girl-who-hunts
- frozendarkchocolate likes this
- captain-apple reblogged this from sherlockismyname-murderismygame
- chelsiegreen20 likes this
- grapelivre reblogged this from fucknodumblr
- who-needs-sleep-anyway reblogged this from culvercreekprankmaster
- kingofcarrotflowersxxx likes this
- saxman712 reblogged this from skapunkrock
- raebeezzz likes this
- lessthanangie likes this
- skapunkrock reblogged this from radiationpunk
- skapunkrock likes this
- radiationpunk reblogged this from ikilledmydadonce
- ikilledmydadonce reblogged this from culvercreekprankmaster
- pouryoursugaronme likes this
- culvercreekprankmaster reblogged this from emma-of-hearts
- happybulldog reblogged this from fucknodumblr
- lost-in-the-anomalies reblogged this from alahnasaurus-fez
- thereapernamedbentley likes this
- albionprincess reblogged this from ilovemyniece13
- al-missing-tl reblogged this from justcallmedearie924
- justcallmedearie924 reblogged this from selfpityisastateofmind
- mybrainisabagfullofcats reblogged this from admiralmissa
- toolazytotumble reblogged this from catcmack
- chace-austin reblogged this from faith-trust-and-pygmy-puffs
- dapatoca reblogged this from writejenwrite
- dapatoca likes this
- smartie909 reblogged this from faith-trust-and-pygmy-puffs
- aurorasaiditbest reblogged this from thegapperproject
- aurorasaiditbest likes this
- his-grace-is-an-0cean likes this
- mabeltheawesome likes this
- tomistaccato likes this
- catcmack reblogged this from selfpityisastateofmind
- catcmack likes this
- u2happy reblogged this from faith-trust-and-pygmy-puffs
- locnothar reblogged this from faith-trust-and-pygmy-puffs
- locnothar likes this
- writejenwrite reblogged this from sabaceanbabe
- kelptheseaweedqueen reblogged this from faith-trust-and-pygmy-puffs
- acciotimelord221b reblogged this from faith-trust-and-pygmy-puffs
- faith-trust-and-pygmy-puffs reblogged this from ilovemyniece13 and added:
- punrock reblogged this from noshite
- looking4aladdin likes this