YES. I’m tired of all of you pretentious assholes saying that I’m not “really reading” because I use a kindle.
Yes, you are reading.You are just reading a “lesser” form of book. Reading isn’t just reading the words on a page/screen, it’s smelling the book, new or old, it’s wearing the books spine out after rereading it for the X’th time, it’s leaving crease marks on a page you flipped too fast because you were that eager to get to the next page, and most of all, it’s losing yourself in a book to the point where the world around you no longer exists. And I, for one, cannot lose myself in an electronic screen. The words of a real book take on a depth that cannot ever be recreated on anything electronic. So you may be reading a book, but you will never truly experience a book unless you read it in a printed medium.
lol this pretentious bullshit. “The words of a real book take on a depth that cannot ever be recreated on anything electronic.” i mean really. anyway, the words of your reblog have no depth or meaning to me since i’m reading them in electronic form, but u tried it
Now I love books, I have literally thousands of books but I also love fanfic and I can’t get them in ‘proper’ book form so I have a Kindle full of downloaded PDF fanfics (most of which are Atlin Merrick’s and porn). Does it really matter how you read as long as you read?
Ooh, this my division!!!
As a bookstore manager that peddles both paper books and e-readers, I agree with the above statement that it doesn’t matter which medium you choose to read in, it’s that you’re reading!
I use the same argument for fanfiction. My mum and husband always ask me why I don’t just write a ‘real’ book instead of wasting time on writing fanficiton. Fanfiction IS real fiction. It’s ALL fiction.
So. Fucking. There.
Anyway, I use my Nook (which I prefer to Kindle, but to each their own) constantly. I put more fanficiton on it than anything, because it’s easy to download from A03 (press the ePUB button and voila, it’s on there in 3 seconds). I use it for the internet more than for ‘real’ books. :P
I still buy paper books because I like how they feel and smell, and they look nice on the ol’ bookshelf.
I still prefer my text bashed into rocks. Steele of Hammurabi? Fuck ye.
I still buy books, but honestly, since I got an e-reader about a year ago I’ve read almost exclusively on it. I find it more convenient, I can read in bed (lit screen) without bothering my partner and it’s easier to take your book with you when you leave the house. However even when I’m at home I still find myself choosing the e-reader. Choosing, because at the end of the day it’s a personal preference.
My grandfather uses an e-reader because he can increase the text size. This is a big deal for him because he can’t read regular text sized books anymore. My friend’s father who had MS and was quadriplegic used an e-reader because it was the only way he could read. But hey, guess they weren’t really reading.
"And I, for one, cannot lose myself in an electronic screen. The words of a real book take on a depth that cannot ever be recreated on anything electronic."
Just because you can’t doesn’t mean it’s that way for others. I am quite capable of enjoying the written word without all the romanticizing of physical books. It’s fine to have a preference, it’s fine to enjoy wearing the spine and folding pages, but it is no more valid then other formats.
- charlmeisterlogs reblogged this from omg-itsdanik
- charlmeisterlogs likes this
- omg-itsdanik reblogged this from feffmeff
- feffmeff reblogged this from fujoshi-trash
- luffyoyabin reblogged this from zaprailgun
- luffyoyabin likes this
- bichicori reblogged this from enma-personal
- lilliththeoddity likes this
- hoon--ding reblogged this from miss--short-for-mischief
- blue-ish-blood reblogged this from is-that-what-i-think-it-is
- is-that-what-i-think-it-is reblogged this from iblamebuckybarnes and added:
- is-that-what-i-think-it-is likes this
- miss--short-for-mischief reblogged this from dont-mock-my-superwholock
- nekoorange124 likes this
- zaprailgun reblogged this from yayforkayla2
- yayforkayla2 reblogged this from enma-personal
- enma-personal reblogged this from jensencockles
- enma-darei likes this
- cosmicrainbowz reblogged this from iblamebuckybarnes
- cosmicrainbowz likes this
- nilanoodle reblogged this from gias-dreamings and added:
- the-original-book-worm likes this
- gias-dreamings reblogged this from iblamebuckybarnes
- iblamebuckybarnes reblogged this from dont-mock-my-superwholock and added:
- iblamebuckybarnes likes this
- dont-mock-my-superwholock reblogged this from madgirl-with-a-superwholock-blog and added:
- theradiatedspork likes this
- ireadbookslikeyouwearmakeup reblogged this from lost-in-another-fantasy
- ireadbookslikeyouwearmakeup likes this
- destroyallthecupcakes likes this
- lost-in-another-fantasy reblogged this from keep-fighting-little-warrior
- 69onionsinatree reblogged this from fujoshi-trash
- cameronlovesme reblogged this from thehumanprideproject
- rainysunnydeath reblogged this from lieutenant-lani
- rainysunnydeath likes this
- keep-fighting-little-warrior reblogged this from even-the-best-will-fall-down
- spindlefibres reblogged this from alongcameclive
- obviously-unorthodox reblogged this from raindrops-cadence
- kuntquat likes this
- tsuminoiro reblogged this from thehumanprideproject
- brokenconciousss reblogged this from thehumanprideproject
- fantasy-fiend reblogged this from aflashofsilver
- plivia likes this
- fashion-killaazz likes this
- whoshotkennedy likes this
- disneyprincessofgallifrey reblogged this from thehumanprideproject
- macklesmore reblogged this from the-phantasticfoursome
- sharro-chan reblogged this from bullieo
- sharro-chan likes this